Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Still running late this month...

One of my friends asked why I didn't cover National Poetry Month in this blog.  Well, frankly, April Showers seem to have wiped all my best laid plans right out of my head.  Thanks for the reminder!

My elementary school friends know all about Shel Silverstein's website.  I've waxed poetic about it for years (sorry, pun only slightly intentional).  I had my son read along to Shel himself reading to help with his fluency.  I can't say enough about this site for kids!

For older tweens and teens, the Library of Congress has a Poetry Page that includes information about and by the Poet Laureate of the United States.  Additionally, there is a link for "A Poem a Day" for high school students and a featured webcast of poetry readings (often by the poets).  I was drawn to the Walt Whitman link to the American Memory collection.

So, I hope this report, though short-but-sweet,
Is better late than never.
And when on this blog next month we meet,
I'll be timely in the endeavor!

No comments: